Friday, April 29, 2011

Personal Learning Plan



This class has surely gone by quickly. I have learned so much during such a short time. Some of the things I learned and I plan to use in my workplace are surveys and polls. Before this class, I have never created a survey or a poll. I was able to survey 129 people and implement a project based on the survey results. The wicked problem project had been a highlight of this class. As a result of this assignment, I was able to implement a training plan that has been on my agenda for two years. I am definitely planning to use the same concept for my future work projects.


The certificate courses have taught me the importance of technology in education, how to use range of technologies in my workplace, helped me discover areas I can apply different technologies and how to improve learning and instruction through technology. I believe I need to continue expanding the skills I acquired in these courses even further. Therefore, I decided to submit my application to a Master’s program in Educational Technology. I was granted admission and I am so excited to continue expanding my knowledge in the field of educational technology. I strongly believe this this program will prepare me to be a better leader and educator in my profession.
I aim to learn more about different technologies I could apply in my professional environment. I hope to create effective professional presentations for department administrators using innovative technologies and e-manuals/tutorials for different visa processes. Presenting statewide and nationally is essential part of my professional development therefore I feel it is necessary to learn the art of instruction and effective means of presenting material that would keep my audience engaged.  Presenting material to international students is sometimes a challenge since English is not their first language. I do believe international students need special instruction. I hope to learn more about effective methods of communication with international students through various means of technology.

I would also like to create a foreign language tutorial for young children. I am a strong believer that with the use of technology young children can be taught numbers, alphabet and basic language skills. I am amazed to see my two-year-old son who has become proficient navigating my iPhone as if it was another toy of his. He’s learned his alphabet, shapes and numbers using my iPhone applications. This encouraged me to further research and learn more about the effect of hand held mobile devises in language learning.  I believe that upon completion of the program I will have skills to implement foreign language-training program.

TPACK framework describes essential qualities in a teacher. I strongly believe that these qualities can be applied to an educator as myself. I am not a teacher but I do educate international students, faculty and department administrators on immigration regulations. I would like to further explore the application of TPACK in my field of profession.



2 comments:

  1. Hey Neringa, I liked your Prezi, nice and simple, stand-alone and nice limey green colors!

    Well at least you have a set time to finish your Masters, I don't know if I can commit to a solid date!!
    I, too, really digged TPACK and will use it a lot to work out PD sessions from now on.
    Hope to see you in some of the Masters courses soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it’s a great idea to create your own language learning tool for young children! You have a great way to test out your ideas with your son. This will not only benefit you and your son, but hopefully many others! I agree that your continued education will give you the methods you seek to help you communicate with your international students. I’m also hoping to continue my learning through the Master’s Program. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete