Friday, November 26, 2010

Learning Styles

It is so interesting to reflect on my own learning style and compare how I was taught in Lithuania and in the U.S. In Lithuania I was taught to MEMORIZE and RECITE everything, there was no creativity or thinking involved. You had to learn everything by heart to recite all the historical facts in the history class and all the theories in mathematics class and etc. I used to learn all the lessons from the book by heart and recite the material the next day in class. Most of the lessons were lecture style and some of the science classes were taught hands on approach. I liked the hands on approach since I could remember and understand the material better. 


When I started taking classes in the U.S. in the community college, I was surprised at how teachers taught here. They actually wanted to know what you thought about what you learned, and discussions in the classroom were mandatory for classroom participation, lots of visual aide was used, and you actually had to do research on the topic yourself and use Internet. I think I am both a visual and auditory learner. I learn very well by listening to discussions but I also learn very well by taking notes and reviewing them over and over again. I also learn well when I am given a lot of detailed instruction. 


If I were to teach at school, I would find out learning styles of all my students and if the highest percentage of students were visual learners and a smaller percentage were auditory and tactile learners, I would use a lot of visual aid in the classroom (pictures, videos) but in addition, I would also use discussions, podcasts, and hands on activities. That way, all different learners are engaged in the learning process.

2 comments:

  1. We have a come a long way!! When I was a student, this is how I was taught also. I was a great student because I could memorize everything. I think I would have done so much better in math if I were to have learned differently. I would get A's. but never learned how to apply the math. Now, I find myself re-learning little things like how much dirt should go in a square foot garden or how to change recipes. Now kids actually learn how to do these things in school.
    Technology does make it easier to differentiate. Many students gravitate to the technology and since they are engaged they do better. They may still have to memorize, but using a tool like Quizlet makes it fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a foreign language class in high school that consisted of memorizing, but it's not an efficient way to teach or learn. I'm glad that teaching practices have improved since then!

    ReplyDelete